The FFX Yamaha team have contracted Filip Backlund for the four remaining races of the British Superbike championship
FFX Yamaha have acknowledged Filip Backluns results and performance in the BSB Superstock 1000 class and has decided to give the swede a chance in the worlds toughest national championship, the British Superbike championship.
– This had´nt been possible whitout my friend and sponsor Mats Nilsson, FFX Yamaha and also SMT Racing. SMT Racing will continue to back me up and
I´am really thankful for that, Filip Backlund says.
Already this Thursday Filip Backlund will take over Ian Hutchinsons Yamaha R1 and besides the personel from the FFX Yamaha Filip will have his chief engineer Alec and mechanic Fred from SMT Racing on his side when he gets his first taste of the R1 on Donington Park.
– It is very important for me to be given the opportunity to keep working with the same persons I have worked during this season. They know how I work as a rider and we have a really good cooperation together. Hopefully I will get one more day to test the bike on Silverstone before my Superbike premier, says Filip.
Filip Backlunds intention is obviously to keep riding in the British Superbike next year. The four last races of the season will be some what of a test for Filip Backlund before the next year.
– All parties are well aware of that I´am jumping on a new bike in a new class. All my competitors have had almost a hole season to get acquaintances with their bikes. But I still hope to be able to prove that I belong in BSB as it is a big opportunity for me to show myself and my partners, Filip Backlund ends.
Mats Nilsson, Aircode:
– After supporting and following Filip for the last three years it is with great satisfaction that he is now stepping into a top team of British superbike.
A series that are at the very forefront of motorcycle racing and the rivalry is fierce as a shark attack, so he needs to bring the proper set of jaws to bite straight into the core of the competition.
– But with a Team of this experience and dedication he will get all the right support and backing to get right into it and I’m sure that once warmed up he will spring a few surprises and raise to the occasion as he normally does. As he now takes on his biggest challenge to date he will need all that grit and determination that made me support Filip.
– My sincere gratitude to the SMT Team that has been a part of making this midseason switch possible, Mats Nilsson ends.
5-7 september is the date when Filip Backlund will make his Superbike debut in BSB at Donington Park.
For more information contact:
Mobile: 0046-70 491 69 69
Mobile 0046-76 311 00 31